"GLV for instance could be (it seems to me) arranged to scan 1080 from left->right (or right->left, whatever) and be an even smaller array."

It DOES scan left to right. You should find out what it is and how it works before you say things like this.

"For instance a GLV array of 4320 elements scanned from left->right would be able to directly display:"

How do you define 'element' here? Whatever it is, it seems more complicated than what a 1080P GLV system is so I can't see why anyone would want to do that.

An array of 1080 vertical pixels can display 1080P and any lower resolution like the 480 and 720. The lower res. could be upconverted to 1080P internally and look better than 480P or 720P look natively.

HTPC users upconvert DVD's all the time to the native resolution of their projector improving the DVD's resolution beyond it's native 480P. The best native res. we can get it 1080i so a 1080P system can handle and improve every current common display resolution.

"PS - Feel free to repeat this without citing the source, even though I believe it is an original idea."

Yeah.. well we'll see if Sony can figure out what you're talking about then implement it. -heh