JDB001,
You crack me up.
You say -"CRT RPj and CRT FPj is not an issue."

Sorry, but that's just YOUR narrow-minded opinion.

"It does not matter the performance - they are to big and heavy - case closed."

Well, performace actually does matter to pretty much everyone but you. And "case closed"? You seem to have 'control issues' to deal with.

"It's old tech on it's dying legs."
Half true. It's old tech. It's not even close to 'dying' though in rear projection, but you it of course is in front projection (which seems to be all you can think about).
Remember the basic design of all our cars are VERY old tech, but just like CRT has been refined continually over the years, and while a gas-powered car will be replaced with one or many of the high-tech alternatives that exist today... it ain't even close to 'dying' either.

"If one does not have crane to install it or an extra 10 - 15 sq. ft. of space and a blank wall to give up permanently, which is the case with a majority of installations, then CRTs are a moot point."

A crane? You gatta be joking 'cuz that's just dim. The delivery guys just rolled my 65" CRT into my house. Took 5 minutes. When I remodeled my HT room I just rolled the set into my kitchen for a month.

If it was a lighter 65" DLP It'd still be over 100 pounds and being an large shape, I'd have to have gotten my wife to help me carry it. Either way...no practical 'real world' difference.

"The only reason they exist is it's 50 yr. old technology that they know how to make for a few hundred bucks,-"

Well, that and the fact that it produces the best picture available for that low price, but you made it clear 'performance' doesn't matter to you.

"-and the buyers are unaware of alternatives."

While most consumers have no idea what alternatives they have about pretty much ANY electronics, the alternatives that exist should be right next to the CRT's to compare.

When I bought my $3K 65" Mitsu last year, there were two DLP sets for sale right there in the showroom. Both 50", had poorer black level, fast motion blur, and were $10K and $12K. Even if I had no idea what DLP was, the choice was still obvious.

At this point in time DLP sets are MUCH closer to CRT in performance and price, BUT they're still not there yet.
That new Samsung is still more costly, poorer color, poorer black level and smaller screen size. Check out the review of it in the latest Sound n' Vision.

"Front projection technology should be pushed and pushed hard - it is the future."

You forget or missed the point I made about the 'room being the cabinet' in front projection. Most people want to use their displays with room light on. Some can't even make their room's black enough for the occations they want to watch something at a FP's optimal performance.
This means FP will NEVER be 'the future'. It will always be a fringe segment of display technology.

"Maybe plasma, but I doubt the price will get reasonable anytime soon-"

Like I said, it will probably NEVER get down in price compared to equal performace alternatives, and it's life span is questionable too.

"-RP (box) DLPs and LCDs are OK if only to get the volumes up and cost down. I saw one of the new Samsung RP DLPs at Best-Buy the other day for around $3K using the new 1280x720 chips. Product volume is an issue, but you can't tell me that a "dinky" in size FPj at less than 1/20 the size should cost three times the price."

The size difference is mostly a plastic box. The main costs of these things are in the electrinic 'guts'. A tiny DLP FP is 'all guts' and like compact laptop computers.. costs more to pack so much into a tiny space. Also the optics of a FP are different and a VERY costly element. Also, a FP has to be FAAAAR brighter than a RP set. Smaller isn't cheaper.

We need for Sony to field a new "diffraction ribbon" system and get some competition going with DLPs."

Uh... I was the one who brought this technology up. And I said it was intended first for movie theaters, and later home systems, and it'll be years before there's any chance of that happening.

"CRT Pjs are only for bidding time - not future market relevant."