Quote:
Originally posted by azryan:
regarding 3 chip convergence -
"Up to a point, but any time you have 3 optical systems there is the potential. If I were a betting person I'd bet the DLP theater systems have a convergence adjustment (maybe even a mechanical one) somewhere."

It'd have to be mechanical if they did, but they don't. Neither do LCD displays.
The chips are all mounted in one housing designed to place them all exactly where they're supose to go, and they can't move. If the convergence isn't off when built, it'll never ever shift from perfect.

Maybe, but I still doubt it. There may not be any way to move the chps, but without exception every precision optical system I've been around (astronomy is one of my hobbies, I just enjoy music) always gets out of alignment and has to be adjusted. I would guess the elusive 'adjustment screw' is somewhere else in the optical system, which is pretty complex with all the lenses, prism, etc.

Or maybe the fact that the distances involved are short and the pixels are (relatively) large mitigates the need for extremely accurate alignment. In any case nothing stays perfectly aligned. It may be small enough not to matter much - I don't know, but I'd think a (non - home) theater system would be more demanding. I just really hate it when I see color fringing in a black and white movie or predominately grayscale scene.

And as we've already discussed, the color wheel isn't exactly the most elegant solution I've ever heard of either, but I really do like the idea of a single optical system if possible.

As for the lamps, heat is an issue I suppose, but the DLP RPTV I was able to view was silent as far as I could tell - maybe the bigger cabinet (compared to FP) allows more control of light and sound leakage. And it seems like color temperature is also a non-issue since gamut is (or can be) controlled by the filter wheel, as HT projectors have no clear filter sections.

One thing I really like is the fact that the colors won't shift like CRTs can with age. Once in a while you pop in a new lamp (keep one or two around) and that's it.

If you think about it (and we seem to agree on this) the whole glowing phosphor idea is pretty hokey.