Quote:
Originally posted by azryan:
Charlie, you said..

"Also when things are moving on this scale they really are not behaving in the same manner as other 'moving parts' we are more accustomed to."

Hmm... We're are talking VERY SMALL, but not like it's so small that it's in the realm of quantum mechanics or things like that. (like atomic computer circuits that're in the works -stuff like that).
Not that I understand quantum mechanics, but the DLP mirrors are just tiny metal squares on hinge pins and static electricity makes them pivot back and forth. ....

"Even at this early stage these tiny guys are able to display incredible reliability."

DLP isn't very new. ....

I'm talking MEMS technology in general. And no, it's not quantum physics, but where else can you swivel a mirror at 5kHz for years without even oiling the hinges....

Quote:
Charlie you said -"I hope the 'rainbow' issues can be fixed without resorting (once again) to a three source solution that brings back the convergence issues the current DLP systems so neatly fix.

3 chip systems don't have any convergence issues (other than CRT which isn't 'chips'). CRT need's occational 'tweaking' 'cuz the guns heat and cool moving them out of sync just slightly (my dual subs probably help too!!).

Up to a point, but any time you have 3 optical systems there is the potential. If I were a betting person I'd bet the DLP theater systems have a convergence adjustment (maybe even a mechanical one) somewhere. I'm actually on the fence - a spinning color wheel isn't really cool either, but overall I think it seems to be a better solution by a narrow margin.

The other stuff like bulb life etc. that folks complain about are non-issues to me. Just change the doggone lamp!