Good Morning Ryan,
As far as 'theatre quality'video is concerned, my current set-up visually is 'better'. Sony XBR and Sony NS700P DVD. If theatre is the reference, then I don't like the standard. Audio wise, it will be a while before I can surpass my HT outside of the home. You mentioned optimum spacing of my main speakers. That won't be a problem as the correct spacing for my speakers is about 10 feet (three meters) toe-in. I do want to keep my center as I feel ( I could be wrong) that 5.1, or 6.1, is mixed with specific audio remnants for the center channel and I don't want to lose those. All of my speakers are matched and sound very good to me. i've calibrated the system and the room and it sounds GOOD! I'm currently using the 1050 as a pre for processing (waiting for a 950, and may go with the Anthem) and I use a separate pre for 2 channel listening. My mains are bi-amped (matched amps) and my surrounds are bi-wired. Don't let anyone criticize your using your 950 with the eARTwo. If you don't like the 950 as a pre, upgrade to a separate pre for 2 channel. Screw 'their' opinions.
You are extremely fervent in your support for RP. You make very good arguments. So much so that I will more closely examine that option. I may just go with a 42" XBR if I can find one without all of the audio add-ons. I haven't seen the feature sets on the soon-to-be-released new XBR's. I really like the direct view image all around. And I already have a nice Bell'Ogetti stand to put it on! It matches my rack. Hey aesthetics are important too. No , they are not my guiding influence. Just a concern.
I have seen both the Elite's and the Mitsu's. I'll look closer.
Thanks for all of the info.
Mix