Oh - and one other thing, more on topic - what if Outlaw were first to market with a low cost 3 chip DLP projector?

Charlie

What is your definition of "low cost?" 3 chips or not and over $5K is primarily margin. That's the same problem with the single chip versions. Retail on the InFocus models of $4K - $5K is overpriced for the result - especially at 848x480(600) pixels on the screen.

The single chip 848x480 should be $1800 on the street, then maybe a 3 chipper for $4K - $5K would be very interesting. It does not need to be feature "bulked-up" or built for movie house applications or work in a well lighted room, etc. It could be (1) manual focus, (2) 3 inputs only - composite, S, and component – no PC input, (3) optional DVI or 1394 at some future date with an add-on card, (4) NO audio, (5) split light source from a single lamp with at least 800 L, (6) reasonably priced bulb, (7) reasonably small package, < 15 lbs, (8) with no color wheel or motor - maybe 3 1280x720 DMDs, (9) 2, 3, or 4 small, low velocity cooling fans for getting the heat out, and (10) no de-interlacing chip - let the DVD player or Set Top Box (STB) or tape deck do it for the sources. (Well OK, we need one, a DI, if we allow composite and S-Video inputs for convenience. The DCDi would be ok –remember the source.) Additional/primary sources would be over-the-air broadcast, DirectTV, and HD Tape which should be direct in at 480p, 720p, or 1080i (1080p some day) only on the component input. We would worry about cable through the STB when they (cable providers) stop whining produce some quality product. A remote control to tweak the picture would be nice but not a necessity. It could be done with buttons on the projector – not convenient, but low cost. Limit throw distance and picture size to 20’ and 100” respectively. If you want more picture size, you have money and way too much space – go somewhere else.

Put the family on bread and water, cut the snacks, take the cars from the 20'something kids, get out the bikes, and sign me up. Where do I make the reservation?

The point here is that there is still a large void out there for a quality front projector at a reasonable price. The virtues of the CRT are moot – they are just too big. LCOS could be relevant if the manuf. can figure out how to make them in quantity. This includes JVC who is just way over the edge on cost, i.e., we only need to pay for R&D and big margins for so long. The only issues with DMD/DLP are cost and black level, and both are being improved by TI. It still looks like the technology to deliver the home theater experience for the masses.

I noticed that the Outlaw's new product will be another amp. An easy choice – and it fills a small hole in their line. But please, IMHO, another DVD player that plays every disk known to mankind is a waste. IT’S a DVD PLAYER, i.e., a good NTSC box. I bought a second one a few weeks ago – a new Sony progressive scan for $200. It looks fine on my XBR (for now), but neither is HD. Even with the Sony XBR on a STB delivering OTA HD broadcast, it is not HD. Looks good – better than NTSC – but not HD. That’s the DVD space. Maybe in a few years the “blue stuff” will be available, but until then – it’s DVD. We still lack a HD projected picture that cost less to buy than a decent car, and that’s where the market and work could be for the Outlaws. Projection is cost effective solution for space, HD, and the theater experience. I keep beating this drum because there is a void out there. The Holy Grail should be a front (or rear) projected 1920x1080p picture on an 80” screen with HD-DVD, but that will be longer than we should wait for something better than digital NTSC.

[This message has been edited by JDB001 (edited July 11, 2002).]