If Samsung's HD2 DLP-based RPTVs I saw at the Home Entertainment 2002 show are a good indication, the contrast and black level of TI's HD2 chips are markedly improved. While there, I met with senior marketing managers from PLUS, InFocus, and TI. PLUS and InFocus are currently working on HD2 720p units to be introduced later this year, though at slightly higher price points than I'd hoped for (they both told me that the North American HT PJ market is still quite small and cannot support pricing based on higher volumes yet). PLUS intends to continue it's modified direct sales model and should have the lower prices of the two. Since Outlaw has a purely direct sales model, they could probably compete at or near PLUS's price point, but they'd be extremely vulnerable if a price war ever started in earnest. If prices do drop, the catalyst could be Epson, who don't seem to be building any sort of home theater dealership base, and could simply drop a 720p home theater projector into their online business/computer channel, where margins are slim and pricing is cutthroat.

I'm waiting for Outlaw's next update for an indication if they still plan to jump in the front projection space.

-avi

[This message has been edited by Avi (edited June 18, 2002).]