My comments on above "projector wish lists". $3,000 is IMO unrealistic for a first-rate projector. $7,000-$8,000 would probably be more attainable, even still a bit optimistic at this stage of the digital projector evolution. If a cheap projector is what you're looking for, there are plenty on the market already (and several soon to be even cheaper with the next-generation projectors starting to appear).

As mflaster stated, a packaged external processor is the way to go; allowing all connections at the equipment rack and providing for one-stop/plug-n-play shopping. Make the projector available "solo" for those who already have a substantial investment in a processor (broadening your customer base too).

As for projector noise, don't the manufacturers listen to their customers... or their projectors? How many projector owners do you know that are NOT concerned about projector noise? Not very many I'd guess. Some just accept it as unavoidable, but many spend hundreds of dollars tweaking and building hush boxes to muffle it. This should be designed in, not an option that gets cuts from the budget to meet a price-point. Surely it cost less to design it in than it does for the customer to tweak on his own.

Same goes for "light-leakage". A projector that leaks light out the front vents is severely flawed. C'mon guys, this is sloppy and unacceptable.

Personally, I own a RPTV because (5 years ago) it was the only affordable option (and FPTVs were not). I'm listening and learning a lot about FPTV thanks to forums like this and AVS. I'm now convinced that FPTV is definitely in my home theater future. Just waiting for that perfect deal.

Keep telling the manufacturers what we want, and eventually they'll get it (and get my business) right . Thanks