Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
I was just thinking about what DVD-A/SACD players I've owned. There was a DVD-A player (the Panasonic RA60 that I bought in 2002), but I didn't have both formats until I got the Yamaha S1500 in September 2004. The S1500 had a pretty decent analog section coupled to a truly dreadful user interface, which is why it became a purely DVD-A/SACD player in May 2005 (the OPPO 971H was a much better DVD/CD player, with digital output to the 990). Then there were the 981HD, 980H, and 983H. The 981HD's analog section was probably not quite as good as the S1500's, but it was a quite satisfactory all-in-one solution. The 980H improved on the 981HD nicely, with the 983H offering some subtle benefits (very slight, at least to my ear). The BDP-83 tops them all, though. It won't matter to folks who are using the HDMI output for audio, but for everybody who isn't yet ready to upgrade their receiver or surround processor (and there are plenty of folks in that category) it's very good news indeed.
Quote:
I may join mzpro5 and start buying SACDs.
Keep an eye out for music titles on Blu-ray, too. There's not a lot of studio stuff out there, but there is a fairly decent array of concert titles out there. TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, or straight PCM are all capable of equaling DVD-A and SACD.
My OPPO just arrived, have not had a chance to hook it up yet but hopefully soon.

I have a 7.1 system and can anticipate one potential problem for my setup.

I currently listen to my DVD-A/SACD thru a Marantz DV 9500 via analog to my 990. DVD-A/SACD surround signals from the Marantz (5.1 analog outs) are routed to my rear surrounds not my side surrounds via the 990. My rear surrounds are better positioned and suited for 5.1 high resolution playback.

Please correct me if I am wrong but with the new OPPO (7.1 analog out), if I hook this way, it will work fine for DVD-A/SACD but with Blu Ray, the side surround signal will come out the rears and the rear surround signals will come out of the side surrounds. I assume this will sound goofy so I was wondering if there are any suggestions to alleviate this ( I doubt it). The only one I can think of is to replace the 990 with the 997 and hook Blu Ray up via HDMI.

I am assuming that with DVD-A /SACD on the OPPO, the surround signals are assigned to output via the surrounds jacks and not the rear surround ones?

Thanks in advance

Onix Rockets 850 Mains
RSC 200 Centre
RS 300 Surrounds
RK 250 Rears

Marantz DV 9500 DVD
Panasonic BD-55 Blu Ray Player
JVC RS 20 Projector
106" DaLite HP Screen

Outlaw Interconnects
Blue Jeans Cables