Quote:
I took a quick look @ the specs of each and the one difference is the Oppo plays SACD while the Panny doesn't but this is a non-issue for me as I have a PS3 that could play SACDs.
The PS3 will only play SACD's if you replace the Model 990. It doesn't have a multichannel analog output, so they only way to hear SACD's is via HDMI. THe BDP-83 will do SACD's and DVD-Audio (which neither the BD55 nor the PS3 will do) via multichannel analog.
Quote:
From the rest of the specs it seems that both are neck and neck. I didn't have much time to cross ref both spec sheets. My boss keeps passing by.
The Blu-ray feature sets are similar (Profile 2.0, onboard decoding of the new formats). Once you get past that, though, there are some very real differences. The BDP-83's video processor is definitely better, which will have minimal impact on Blu-ray but a clear benefit for DVD. (The BD55 has a somewhat newer and improved version of Panasonic's Uniphier chip compared to the BD30 that I have, but I was pretty underwhelmed by the BD30 for DVD performance when compared to my old 983H .) The BDP-83 supports DVD-Audio and SACD. The BDP-83 is faster (start-up, disc loading, etc.). The BDP-83 has a better analog section. The BDP-83 also benefits from OPPO's customer support, which is among the best in the industry.
Quote:
Has anyone had a chance to compare the 2? Which one would be the better choice in general? (Panny @ $380 vs Oppo BDP-83 @ $517 shipped) Is the Oppo that much better to justify the $137+ difference?
I've compared a BD30 to the BDP-83, but not a BD55. The BD55 is a newer generation of the BD30 (enables onboard decoding, adds Profile 2.0, and uses what I'm told is a better version of the Uniphier chipset). If it were my $137 to spend, I'd go with the OPPO.