Greetings fellow Outlaws.

I'm in need of some assistance in deciding on Oppo BDP-83 vs the Panasonic DMP-BD55 to go along with my Model 990 processor. I'm attempting a 7.1 channel HT set up now.

Some background.

I pulled the trigger on an Open box Panny for $380 because I thought I had no chance of getting the Oppo BDP-83 early since I was very late in registering for the product.

To my surprise I just got an e-mail from Oppo stating that I may eligible for the 6/1/09-6/15/09 shipments.

I'd love to try both out and see and hear what the differences are but I have a 7 day return policy on the Panny BD and it is slated to arrive @ my house on 5/29/09.

While I have no idea as to when I will receive The Oppo. If I'm lucky maybe shortly after 6/15/09.

I took a quick look @ the specs of each and the one difference is the Oppo plays SACD while the Panny doesn't but this is a non-issue for me as I have a PS3 that could play SACDs.

From the rest of the specs it seems that both are neck and neck. I didn't have much time to cross ref both spec sheets. My boss keeps passing by.

Has anyone had a chance to compare the 2? Which one would be the better choice in general? (Panny @ $380 vs Oppo BDP-83 @ $517 shipped) Is the Oppo that much better to justify the $137+ difference?

Thanks so much. JD