I've got the BDP-83 in my system now and I'm looking to do some A/B comparisons. My PS3 has been my BluRay player and is still in my system. I'm mostly interested in sound comparisons, though I am interested in looking at the upsampling capabilities of the two players.

Because I'm running an older system, I cannot get DolbyHD or DTS-Master Audio from my PS3 since it does not have an HDMI input. I ordered Master and Commander on BluRay from Netflix and I own the DVD version of the movie. I believe it is one of the best surround sound recordings I've heard. I watched the BR version this weekend and loved the sound, though the HD presentation didn't seem all that much better than my standard DVD, which I found surprising.

I have yet to watch them one right after the other to compare the two, though I plan on doing it tonight. I have a question though. Is there a difference between DTS-HD and DTS-Master Audio? A visit to the DTS web site didn't really provide me with an answer. I thought that Master Audio was a new and improved version of DTS-HD. Anyway, the Master & Commander BR disc uses DTS-HD, so if there is a difference, does anyone have a DTS-Master Audio BR movie they recommend for great sound that I could use to compare against standard DTS?

Aside from that, this is a beautiful machine that is very easy to set-up. Build quality is outstanding. Un-boxing the unit is something else. Best packaging I've seen. I have never owned a SACD or DVD-Audio player, so I have no discs and nothing to compare them against. From what I've read, that is where most of the questions about this unit originate from. The only standard DVD I ran through the unit couldn't really be used to gauge the upsampling since it was a 10 year old commedy that probably didn't have the best filming standards to begin with. I'll probably use the cars DVD to compare the upsampling of the OPPO vs. the PS3.

Sorry for rambling!