Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
AvFan and mzpro5 - congrats on the shipping notices!
Quote:
Originally posted by Retep:
[b] Having the BDP-83 for just a short while, I found the 7.1 direct for DVD's much better than the optical. I'm not sure why, but with the optical I have to turn the volume up quite a bit more to reach the same db as I did with the 980H or the 7.1 direct. The 7.1 direct is much more open and clear. There is a huge difference and I didn't notice this much of a difference with the 980H direct or digital, nor did I notice a big decibel difference. I have the BDP-83 set at 192 LPCM.

Gonk... I believe and your wife had the same experience?

Fantastic palyer. Very fast compared to my Pioneer BDP-51FD
I have been very impressed with the quality of the BDP-83's analog section. It's really a very good performer. [/b]
It's excellent. Really happy with it. HDMI seems fine, it's only the spdif connection that has major level differences. It's not really an issue as I'm very happy with 7.1 analog.

Just a little addition. HDMI CEC is very cool. All I have to do is turn the Oppo player on and the tv turns on and automatically selects the proper input. If I'm watching TV it'll change to the oppo player and when I turn it off it goes back to the channel I was watching. Also when I select the DVD player via the tv as the source, it turns on the oppo player, but doesn't turn it off.HDMI CEC is pretty cool.