So gonk, you didn't have any problems using the analog outs with the 990? I read on the EAP site that there was a confirmed issue with the center channel not working when using the analog outs.
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
Zero trim and distance on the BDP-83 (the 990 applies the same settings to the 7.1 Direct input that it applies to the other inputs).

I'd suggest connecting a coaxial or optical digital cable as well as the 7.1 analog, just so that you can do some A-B comparisons when listening to CD's and DVD's. My traditional answer for players like this has been to stick with digital for the discs that allow it (CD and DVD), but the BDP-83 has an excellent analog section so you might want to experiment a bit to find what you like the best. For Blu-ray, I'd probably just use the 7.1 Direct (analog) connection for all discs.

In most cases, I think that folks are going to prefer to leave as much video processing as possible in the BDP-83 rather than allowing the display to do it. Particularly for a panel that doesn't natively display 24p video (which is only possible with 120Hz panels that accept a 24p signal and repeat each frame five times), I'd rather have the player do 3:2 pulldown. Pioneer tucked some nice hardware into their Kuro panels, though which is the only reason I didn't just say "compare 1080p/60 and 720p/60 outputs and leave the player on the one you like most".