Thought I would let everyone know that I have cast my vote (for now) on the BDP-83, and it was a "No". I tested the OPPO on our secondary system, becasue that is where the Pioneer Elite 42' plasma is (Axiom surround system, Yamaha HTR-5960 receiver, Outlaw LFM-2 sub). HDMI for video, with audio through mutichannel analog with the OPPO decoding the audio. The OPPO replaces a Panasonic DMP-BD55. In terms of start-up time, ease of use, manual clarity, menu structure, etc, the OPPO beats the Panny. Blu-ray PQ is a toss-up to me (perhaps largely due to the 720p screen), and SD DVDs look a bit better from the OPPO. SACD/DVD-A sound great.

However, even after the most recent firmware update, the OPPO's DVD-A in my view still is a work in progress. The latest firmware update did fix many important issues, such as discs not playing and the system freezing up when I tried to access the disc set-up menu and an inability to fast forward through music. But one major concern I still have is that on concert discs or discs where tracks should transition smoothly into each other without pause (e.g. Sinatra at the Sands; the Beatles, LOVE; Brian Wilson, Live at the Roxy), there is a noticeable pause between tracks, almost as if the player is searching for the next track (there is a sound as if the laser mechanism is moving). While that pause is less now with the latest update, it is still there and disrupts the listening experience. My Denon DVD-1920 Universal DVD player plays these discs through without any pause between tracks. If OPPO intends to market this as a universal player, I think the DVD-A implementation still is not smooth enough to carry it off. OPPO tells me they intend to get DVD-A up to the quality/performance of their 981-HD, but they are not there yet. If someone is not interested in DVD-A, the BDP-83 probably is sbout set to go and will be a great player (assuming a few other items mentioned on the 2nd EAP page at OPPO website are corrected). My concern is that if OPPO intends to market this as a universal player, it should be fully functional out of the box. I look forward to changing my vote once OPPO gets the DVD-A and other issues resolved.