Hi everyone,

I got my BDP-83 yesterday. It is very impressive! I am going to be putting it through its paces this weekend, 6 hours on it last night just isn't enough.

Just a quick couple of comments as to what I saw/heard so far:

1. The audio performance is amazing. I listened to SACD's, redbook CDs, BD's of concerts as well as DVD of a concert. All the different formats performed well beyond expectations. I really like the direct audio out. It seems to have a much better sound then when I let the 990 do the processing.

2. The easy setup was, well, extremely easy. In fact the advance setup was quite simple as well. I will have more on this when I do a more detailed review.

3. The video performance was stellar as well, but I really haven't had the time to do all the testing that I would like.

4. In general I have not found a single flaw in the units operation, but again I have really only put about 6 hours in on it with my focus being on the audio side of things. Also, in general it seems to outperform my DV-981HD for audio and up scaling. Also, I think its user interface is better.

So I have a couple of questions for those who have been testing these units.

1. Does it seem like the analog audio in the Oppo produces mush better sound then using the bitstream output of the coaxial connection? Is the Oppo using that much better DACs?

2. I tried both 1080P and source direct settings. I am not sure I understand what the upside of source direct is? I thought if I used source direct the TV would do the scaling, but it did not seem to do that. Could this be a TV setting that I can't find?

OK, that's it for right now, but more will be revealed I am sure.
Emotiva XMC-1, Outlaw 7500, Sonus Faber Olympica III Fronts, SF Liuto Center, SF Surrounds, LFM-1 EX, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV (Gen. 4), Mitsubishi 65" Diamond DLP, Outlaw Cables, PS Audio Power Quintet, Duet and power cords.