Quote:
And going with the BDP-83 will give you standard DVD video performance that will match or beat the Integra 9.9 (based on what I've found with the Onkyo 885, which has nearly identical video processing). It won't help with cable, but depending on the cable or satellite box it may be difficult to fully use the receiver's scaling for cable anyway (my Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD is a mess in this regard, and between its foibles and the 885's very slow video signal acquisition time I've not been able to use the Reon much for SDTV).
Yes..I am almost certainly going to order a BDP 83 when they are finalized and offered for sale to the general public. From everything I have read from your review and others, the video will be about as good as it gets from a home system.

I've never used an 885 but my 9.9 has never exhibited any video or audio acquisition troubles at all. I have my motorola set top box connected through a 50 foot HDMI cable to my 9.9, and another 50 foot hdmi cable going from the output of my 9.9 to the samsung 61 inch dlp led TV. The combination works great for video and audio.

The only fly in the ointment with that at present is the inability of the software in the motorola stb to output dolby digital over the hdmi. Supposedly AT&T is working on a software update to correct that, but right now all I can get from it is PCM two channel. It has the pro logic II encoding if the program has it, and the 9.9 does a marvelous job with that, but it's not true dolby digital. I need to use a toslink connection to get that.

Right now though, I am thoroughly enjoying my new toys. I haven't noticed any discernable diffference in the audio quality between the 9.9 and the 990. They are both as good as I have ever heard, and a large improvement over the sound of the HK signatures that they both replaced.

The 990 does have some pro logic II adjustments that are lacking in the 9.9....the panorama, center width and dimension. I have found them to be very helpful in getting the sound just as a like it when listening to music with PL II-music decoding.
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
OPPO BDP-83 universal player
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP