While digging out Christmas decorations three boxes of my vinyl LPs magically reappeared after 20+ years tucked away in a storage closet. They are all from the late 60s to early 80s and very well loved; nothing pristine about any of them. They got tucked away when I got my first CD player and I resisted, on more than one occasion, donating them to the Salvation Army. I'm glad I kept them!

So, I broke down and bought a $200 Sony belt drive turntable with a stobe feature to set the pitch and I haven't played a CD or music from my computer all weekend. Part of it is nostalgia; I listened to those records countless times when I was growing up and it was really fun to listen to them again. Part of it is listening for myself to determine if vinyl is something I want to pursue.

As far as how they sound, some are good, some are pretty poor and I have no idea why I bought some of them in the first place! I've tried Upsample Stereo on my 990 but switched to Bypass and so far it is my favorite. Does Bypass use the bass management feature's crossover to split the signal between the Left, Right and Sub? Or is it sending all frequencies to my small Left and Right?

I have CD versions of a number of the albums so in the near future I'll compare the two to see I can discern that "warm" analog sound.

I'm dating myself but here a few of the LPs that where played this weekend:

Doobie Brothers - What Where Once Vices Are Now Habits
Doors - LA Woman
Elton John - 11-17-70
America - Homecoming
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery
Lighthouse - One Fine Morning

Led Zepplin, Jethro Tull, Santana and Yes are waiting for their turn to be spun again!