Quote:
Originally posted by psyprof1:
Thanks, Altec - you must be about my age. One more bit of AR curiosity - do you happen to know if anybody ever tried biamping or even triamping the big AR's? I know it would have been difficult considering the well-sealed enclosure and would have required mounting more binding posts on the rear, but if speaker-level crossovers are a weak point in the reproduction chain someone might have made the attempt.
Just speculating.
Oh, I imagine that somebody probably did use bi or tri amping on the original AR speakers, but I don't know of any instances personally. In those days, people weren't likely to try active crossovers for the simple reason that fewer commercial active crossovers were available. Now we have quite a few, albiet for the PA and musical recording sectors.

The first instance I have read about where bi ampling was used was in a 1951 issue of High Fidelity magazine where it was used in conjunction with the FAS 'bass coupler', an organ-pipe like contraption which must have sounded rather bad by today's standards. The crossover itself was a simple RC passive affair with a tube output buffer.