Quote:
Originally posted by bestbang4thebuck:

I picked up a Behringer unit, used, for about half price to experiment with, not to use long term. If the concept works well with my speakers, showing an advantage over the standard passive crossovers, then I'll take the time and effort to make, or spend the money to buy, active crossovers on par with the rest of the gear. I'm not relying on my ears alone either. I bought a pair of test microphones and plan some 'before and after' measuring and analysis. After all, sounding different isn't automatically better, and very small differences don't always deserve the budget needed to go 'active' on the front three or all around.
Chances are very high that, the first time you listen to your newly actively-crossed over system, it will sound worse, or VERY worse than it did with the stock passive crossovers.

Thia is because of the fact that not only is all "voicing" which the manufacturer labored long and hard for is now gone, but also the balances between the drivers is all out of whack.

You are now at square one. You are in the driver's seat. You are now at the place where the manufacturer was before he got down to designing a crossover for his speaker.

The active setup most certainly has the potential to sound significantly better than the passive one, but it is NOT plug-'n-play!!!!!

Patience, and the ability to "listen through" the sound you are getting, to the sound you want, is everything. wink