On Monday I emailed OPPO and asked them if they had a Blu-ray player in the works. The net was buzzing that Toshiba would concede defeat today (they did) and I wondered if OPPO would give an indication of where they were headed. I added my suggestion it include the features of the 980H too. This is their response:

"We have not yet aligned ourselves to the HD DVD, Blu-Ray, or combo high definition video formats. The primary reason for this is that we feel that neither of these hardware designs are mature enough to be implemented and released by OPPO Digital. Our operational motto is to "make a mature product better". The HD DVD and Blu-Ray specifications are continually changing, and we can't afford to create a solution which will become obsolete within a year.

We are vigorously investigating all current and future hardware solutions, however we do not know when we will commit to them.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc."

So now that HD-DVD is out of the way the question of when a Blu-ray OPPO will appear seems to be based upon when the standard settles down. Let's hope that is soon. If past performance is an indicator of the future a Blu-ray player from OPPO would smoke the competition.