Quote:
Originally posted by edcon:
2009 for an OPPO Blueray, that is a long wait. I have been patiently waiting for the format war to end. It's been apparent to me for sometime now that Blueray was winning the war, however I didn't want to take the chance.

I have my eye on the soon to be released Panasonic DMP-BD50. Sure wish OPPO would make an announcement. I would buy a Blueray from them in a heart beat. My OPPO 970 has been bullet proof.
I'm just guessing, obviously, so I could always be horribly wrong. On the other hand, they're a small manufacturer and the Blu-ray format isn't exactly an easy target. We're just starting to see a couple manufacturers offer profile 1.1 players, and there's only one profile 2.0 player announced at this point (the Panasonic BD50 you mentioned, due around mid-year or so, although the PS3 is slated to get a firmware update to make it profile 2.0 eventually as well). If the companies that helped create the format (Sony, Panasonic, etc.) can't get full-featured players into production, how can a small company like OPPO? Add in the uncertainty of the format war, and it just compounds the problems. I'd love to be wrong if it meant that OPPO started shipping a really good Blu-ray player in the next five or six months, but they're in the final weeks of development on one player now and I can't see them turning around and pushing an even more complex product out the doors that fast.