I just recently replaced my Sony DA-3000ES receiver with a 990/7125. I had no problem with power from that receiver rated at 150w @ 8 ohms. Before purchasing the unit I had read reviews that verified the output levels. With the 990/7125, my speaker calibrations of changed on the average + 5 db per channel. So it is fair to say that I have to increase the 990 volume 5 db to match the same levels as the Sony.

Second, Sony ideologically refuses to become THX certified. The company feels that they do not have to be THX certified to prove their value to consumers.

And personally, IMHO, THX is sonically over rated. I find THX certified movie theaters to be too high in timbre to point of discomfort. In home theaters, I prefer DTS format to THX.

I have had many Sony products because they were reliable and what I could afford. I have had only one problem in the dozen or so units that I have owned. I found the 3000ES to have very good clarity and a decent sound stage. My one, ok two complaint was the lack of depth in the midrange, which may be partially attributed to my speakers (Mirage OM's). And two, the low hiss at higher volumes. Noticeable in quiet movies, not in action movies. I haven't followed the next gen of the original model to know whether it was remedied.

My apologies if this reply seems defensive, however, the Sony receiver/s got me through palatable years until I could find a good separates alternative. Thus the 990. Bottom line for me...I've found Sony to be very reliable products. Not top of the line, but for non-profit salary budget I got my monies worth and enjoyed it.

AK
Outlaw 990/7125/ATI 150; Mirage OM-5 Mains,OM-C2Cntr,OM-7 Sides,OM-9 rears; Boston Acoustics P1000 Sub; Sony NC555ES CDP; Panasonic 52" plasma, Sony 34" XBR CRT; Grant Fidelity B-283 Tube Buffer; Belkin Pure AV P60