^^

That's in reference to my post. Gonk helped me help a friend who was also looking for an entry level system that was hopefully to be a step above the typical $300-600 HTIB system you buy at Best Buy.

I actually did the installup the VT-12 to that Panny receiver for my friend. From the users perspective (my friend), he was really happy with the outcome of the VT-12 setup. He got the medium room sized-sub. My impression of the sound was that the satellite speakers sounded a little small and I noted some loss of mid-range sound as a result. But for the budget-minded HT beginner, the Ventriloquist system is a nice step forward.

a few other notewortthy things about the HSU -

**the wiring of the front 3 speakers is more complicated and requires more wire overall, so if your friend does get it, he needs to really read the directions and not assume that it's a normal wiring config. The receiver powers the center channel and the center channel distributes the signal to the FL and FR speakrs.

**the speakers are ultra-lightweight - lighter than bose cubs I think. I didn't really like that.

**they mount perfectly using the omni mounts found on Crutchfield

**sounds much better for HT than for music, IMO.

**the sub is pretty strong in the package deal you get for the medium-sized room. I don't know if I would step down from the medium sized sub.

Wiring the VT-12 system into a small back panel such as that Panasonic was a bear w/ upgraded speaker wire that we used. But other than that, the Panny was a nice, simply receiver to use for a beginner. In total, we bought him the Panny receiver, the VT-12 w/ subwoofer for medium room, and the Oppo 971, for right around $1000 shipped. For that price, I believe we got him a competitive system. If I had it to do again, I'd try a different receiver to see if the receiver or the speakers was the "issue" with the missing sound range. It could have also been my friend's room too so I'll never really know enough about it to give a helpful review. But I have hooked it up and I have listened to one. For what it's worth.
Elite 50" / Aquos 32"
Squeezebox Radio

Stereo Setup:
NAD C326BEE (50Wx2)
Elite DV-47Ai Universal SACD/DVD-A
Citypulse DA7.2x II + TXCO DAC
B&W 685s
JL Fathom F112
Denon AH-D2000 Headphones