I guess I need some information on whether the 970 would be the best for my system or whether just to buy something like the new Pioneer 696 (coming sometime). I have a 4 or 5 year old Toshiba 57HX81 RPTV that does not have DVI but only component inputs. I believe the tv does 480i/p->540p upconversion whatever that means. Anyway I have read that the Oppo 971 model would not work the best with my setup but would the new 970 work with my tv? The 970 has everything I'm looking for, the ability to play any media out there, does SACD and Dvd-Audio and does PAL to NTSC conversion along with several other things plus being under $200.
>
> On the subject of PAL/NTSC conversion, how well does the Mediatek chipset handle this, do you get a stable or jittery screen when trying to watch PAL movies? I have read at some online sites that sell modified players with PAL/NTSC conversion chips saying that you need a 14 to 16MB converter to achieve a good picture on a screen larger than 34", what is the Mediatek rated at?

Also do the Oppo players have a sharp picture or are they kind of soft (which I wouldn't like). My current dvd player is a several year old Pioneer 626 which I like but it is pretty outdated.

I have a feeling the Oppo 970 is going to be a great player but is it a fit for my old tv? And is it region free to play some of my son's PAL disc?