Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
Have any west coast gunslingers made it out to the HE Show in Los Angeles?
I think I got the first demo of the day: the space shuttle landing scene from the movie 'The Core'. Peter was his usual fun self. Said hi to Scott. Got a pack of Outlaw playing cards. Nice.

Image looked great on a 2.35:1 screen. They were using a woven material so that the centre speaker (identical tower to the L/R mains) could be placed behind the screen without penalty.

Sound was pretty good too, with seamless LCR imaging. Best part was the bass: they were using 4 subs and a SMS-1 to get smooth low frequency response across the seating area. Worked very well. The other thing about the low frequency response was that it wasn't overpowering. So many demos overwhelm you pounding bass in an attempt to impress. The Outlaw demo had the low frequencies well balanced with the rest of the sound, which really helped keep even the softest dialogue audible.

Only distraction was some rattling, but that's the hotel room not Outlaw's set-up. Room treatments were well used. With the three identical towers up front and the realistic bass balance, the system seemed ideally configured for multi-channel music listening. Unfortunately I forgot to ask them if they had any music to demo. Maybe when I go back on Saturday.