Just thought the Squeezebox discussion quickly had become something that didn't belong in the 990 forum, so I thought I'd continue it over here.

Anyway, I was admiring one of these things, too. I'm wondering about a PC for ripping all (well, a lot) of my CD's. I realize that storage is like memory, you can never have too much. That being said, trying to decide how big of a hard drive to stuff in the PC got me to wondering about how much space a typical CD takes up when you rip it with one of the lossless formats. I'll single out FLAC for now, just based on the discussion so far . Just trying to estimate how much space I'd need.

Edit:
Also, how much PC would be enough? I seriously doubt I'd need a P4 with 1GB of memory, never mind that I'd want it. But how stripped down is too far? If all I want is to use it strictly as a music server, I don't even really need an audio card, do I? Could I really get by with just the motherboard (using onboard Audio/Video/Network), processor, and some memory? Of course, in addition to the hard drive and CD drive.