Well it turns out I can record all PPV movies to my DirecTV DVR and it looks like I can record very nice copies of many of these items on to my new SONY DVD recorder, in stereo only - no digital audio input for transfer of recorded DD sound tracks ( not enough DD anyway )

FYI - If you are not aware - There is a broadcast copy protection signal encoded in to some of these movies that prevents SONY recorders from copying to DVDR disk.
2 known = National Treasure - Batman Begins.
SONY Studios ?

I simply want to record a copy for my use. $50+ a month is already quite enough for me for basic SAT + ENCORE movies. No reason to pay for premium channels just to see a movie a few months later 40 - 50 times when I can build my own basic library of movies I would like to view again. I would like to be able to record movies on to DVD that I have paid to view - record on to my sat DVR - guess that is what I get for not doing some research, But I had a $200 Best Buy gift card to kill. Anyone know of a brand that ignores the broadcast copy guard signal ? Panasonic ? Toshiba ?

In addition, the DVD+R DL disks will not play back in a standard DVD player anyway. Looks like you have to have a DVD Recorder or higher end DVD unit for replay of recorded DVD disks.