Perhaps I should clarify. I used to think as you did. Kenwood? Quality? Huh?

But I remember it clearly. Was stationed in Korea in 95 and the Air Force was having a big sale in September. I had been wanting a THX cert system for a while, but hadn't been in a good position to get one before.

The only THX certified products that they were selling in the sale were the Kenwood THX Ultra speakers, pre/proc and 6 channel amp of the time.

I was reticent to purchase Kenwood products, but a friend of mine had been telling me about how good the THX certification system was.

Since the price was good (I paid around $2700 total for 3 fronts, -Kenwood didn't offer a dedicated center channel as they couldn't do a horizontal speaker with D'appolito (?) array and keep the cost point where they wanted it- 2 dipoles, 1 passive sub, the preamp and the 6 channel x 100 watt amp) I decided to go for it.

I got the stuff home and hooked it up and started to play material on CD and laserdisc.

To say that I was stunned is an understatement. My thought at the time was pretty much "if they can get Kenwood stuff to sound this good, they can get anything to sound good".

Which is why I've been a THX convert ever since.

By the way, if you ever do buy a THX item that doesn't meet the manufacturer's published specs and/or the THX specs, feel free to call the THX support number. Can call them for theaters too.

They have been known to pull certification from specific lines because of quality issues.

I also know that THX certified product lines are required to have a much higher level of quality control than what is usual for some companies in the industry (usual being poor QC to none).

Anyhow, everyone is entitled to their opinions and all the evidence in the world won't easily change that.

By the way, what THX certified pieces have you run into that you considered dreck?