One thing to keep in mind when looking at THX is that it isn't a technology like DTS, Dolby or whatever. It is an end-to-end quality standard.

Meaning that not only do test pieces have to meet the manufacturer's documented specs (and the THX minimums), but every piece off the line has to meet those specs as well.

This quality enforcement is the biggest addition to the home theater industry as a whole in my mind as there were far too many companies like Sony who would fudge their numbers to make their products look better. THX cert product can't do that.

One of the cool things I noticed from the Brian Florian THX article is the requirement in the spec that certified pieces cannot add noise to the soundstage at or below reference level.

From the quality standpoint, THX doesn't do much for companies with already established high quality standards (of which Outlaws is apparently one), but it does help companies (like Yamaha or Kenwood) that might not have the best reputation for quality. And it helps consumers know that when they buy a THX piece, from whoever, that it will have met a certain level of quality.

Of course, you could argue, quite well, that Outlaw's 30 day trial guarantee speaks just as loudly.

For reference, I have had the Kenwood THX Ultra series 6 channel x 100 watt amp, pre/proc and speaker package (3 fronts, 2 dipoles and passive sub) for over 10 years. Although the pre/proc died last week, I'm not even thinking about replacing the speakers anytime soon. They still work great and to get better would cost me more than $4000.

Anyhow, the THX cert is useful, but it shouldn't be the only thing you consider when buying an item as it's a minimum spec level. It is quite possible to get stuff that is as good or better, but it's also quite reassuring to know that if you purchase a THX certified item and it doesn't perform as promised that you now have someone else that you can go to to get your problems addressed.

And yes, there have been companies that have gotten into trouble in the past with THX for failing to meet the quality standards of the spec when shipping retail pieces.