Hello All,
Wondering if you folks might be able to help me out. If this is the wrong forum, please let me know... I have a Hitachi 57S500 RPTV and so far I've been quite pleased with it. However, recently I've noticed something that I don't much care for. When part of the image is bright, and part is dark, I see a halo effect in the darker part of the picture. Almost like light is reflecting around inside the cabinet and contaminating the darker portion of the picture. I'm wondering if somehow some dust ended up on the tubes or, even stranger, on the mirror? I usually keep the contrast and brightness pretty darn low since the set is in my basement and I can keep the ambient light low down there.

I've had the set for about 2 years now and I've never had it cleaned. I did have to take the cabinet apart when I moved it to the basement after completing my HT down there. Maybe it got contaminated then. Anyway, what are the risks involved in cleaning the insides out? Should I attempt to clean the tubes and mirror or is this better left to a pro?

Thanks in advance,

simp
Outlaw Audio Model 2200 (center)
Rotel RMB-1075 (ss, rs)
f, B&W DM604S3
c, B&W LCR600S3
ss, B&W DM302
rs,Polk M3II
HSU VTF-3 MK3
APC H-15 Power Conditioner
Display: Panny PT-AE4000 Proj. + 92" DIY Screen
Little Dot MKIII Headphone Amp
Denon AH-D1100 Headphones (needed a quick, cheap set. looking for an upgrade worthy of the h/p amp.)