Quote:
Originally posted by sraber:
... I agree with Gonk regarding the harsh or overly bright sound of the 1068. I was very surprised about this. I really thought that this was going to be the perfect match for my 1075 amp and B&W speakers. Not so. I'm not a big advocate of "break-in" periods, but I wanted to give the thing a fair shot so I let it play for about 3 days straight. No change in sound at all.
Whether a component sounds harsh and bright or has an extended top end is ultimately system dependent, especially in regards to speakers and your room as well as personal preference.

With my speakers (currently Wharfedales) and most sources I do not notice any harshness or brightness. On the contrary, with both stereo and 5.1 bypass the system sounds very smooth but especially with 5.1 bypass and SACD recordings the top end sounds much more extended compared to my previous set-up (1050 as pre/pro and Philips 963a disc player). Whether it is a function of the pre-pro, disc player or both is unclear since I replaced both units at once (No way I was going to keep them in their boxes smile )

I also did not notice a huge change over time (only about 2 weeks) but it was not bright or harsh to begin with (in my system).

The manual for the 1068 just seems to be puposely obtuse compared to the outlaw manuals I have seen. It seems to purposely explain things in an unneccesarily complicated way. Just MO.