If you read what I said at all, I do give credit to THX for what they have done, however I also pointed out that what they have done is now common practice in a lot of products. This is just technological progress.

Whatever papers you may want to cite (and a lot has changed with mixing and recording technology since the dates on them), I am just relaying what I observe first hand in working on film dubbing stages and working with the engineers who are currently performing DVD mastering - and yes, it is now routine to re-equalize, rebalance and sometimes compress the film soundtrack stems for DVD release. Most of the time this is done in a mastering suite that resembles a home environment for the express purpose of optimizing the DVD sound to it's intended listening environment. Sometimes this is done on the film dubbing stage.

This thread describes one such DVD mixing session - you even have a post in it:
http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000262.html

To me, THX is just a company that has done some good things, and some questionable things. Not everybody in the film industry agrees 100% with THX's mandates, and in fact, many of the major "world class" mixing stages in Hollywood are not officially THX certified. There are a lot of companies and people that have contributed to the state of the art in film post production. THX is just one of them, but they are the only one that people seem to get all worked up over if you don't show them proper "respect". It gets very old after awhile....

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited June 07, 2004).]