Any wire can pick up interference (with the tangential exception of fiber optic). The point I was making was that interference in the low level signal will then be amplified right along with the rest of the signal, potentially yielding a greater overall noise level for the listener. Like I said, I've heard arguments in favor of both approaches. Personally, I doubt that there is a practical difference if the two approaches are installed properly. Considering that and the tendency for the (better-shielded) interconnects to cost more per foot than speaker wire, I would tend to go for centrally locating my equipment and conscientiously running my speaker wire the greater distance. I also locate my equipment and main speakers close together, keeping all of the wiring runs short for the speakers that bear the heaviest burden -- something that not everyone can do, obviously, but that in the average home theater (entertainment center with equipment and display all together) is a convenient side-effect.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links