For what it's worth, I had a similar search going a year ago. I wanted a wide screen direct view tv and almost settled for a Sony when I was asked to view a Mitsubishi 48" rear projection by a salesman. At first I wasn't impressed with the RP because of the changes in image brightness in vertical and horizontal seating arrangements. The best image was dead center and eye level. But as I kept comparing the two sets I really started to like the Mitsubishi, (both HD ready). In the end I purchased the Mitsubishi and found with proper set up the image retains its brightness over a much larger viewing angle than in the store. And progressive scan DVD viewing is exceptional! I also have a large room, 24' X 24', so the RP tv does not overwhelm it, the Sony would have been lost in it. 16:9 is definately the way to go. Once your eyes get use to it you'll never want to go back to a standard box image again. I know your friend doesn't want a rear projection HD tv but with their prices dropping so much it might be worth just looking at them.