Well, I'll give you my thoughts, since I just went through the same thing. First, I'll cut to the chase. I bought a Sony KV32HS510. That's a 32" 4:3 HDTV set with the flat Wega picture tube. I love it. I paid $1234.00 at Sears, and got a Sony DLP-300 combo DVD/VCR for < $100 after rebate and pricematch with B&H Photo. No, it does not have a HDTV tuner.

Anyway, I went with the HDTV primarily for viewing DVDs at better resolution than possible with a standard set. I bought a progressive scan DVD player at the same time (they start around $60 now) to mate with the TV.

I went with 4:3 because I only had room for either a 30" 16:9 or a 32" 4:3 (the 16:9 image is physically the same size in both sets, within about 1/2"). Since I watch a lot of cable and play a lot of Playstation, the 4:3 was a better choice for me.

The choice of the Sony was because the Wega tube has the bonus of being able to display a widescreen image in full resolution. So regardless of whether I'm watching in 4:3 mode or 16:9 mode, I still get my full 1080 lines interlaced, or 480 progressive scan.

I'll be happy to answer any specific questions about my decision If you couldn't tell, I'm tickled pink with the Sony.

-Joe

------------------
Remember the Intellivision?
http://www.gotmaille.com/nostalgia/