snarf:

Welcome to the Saloon!

I've enjoyed reading your inputs. A couple of notes:

Sanjay is one of those guys about whom you could say 'It's not what he says, but rather, how he says it'. He's an avid fan of DPLII and Logic 7, as well as the Bass Enhance feature of the Lex PrePro. He's very knowledgeable on these and other subjects, but being quoted line by line with each quote followed but a reproval takes some getting used to.

On the question of derived (or, as I would rather refer to it, redirected bass) taken from the 5 sat channels and summed with a copy that is recorded on the LFE channel, Sanjay is correct. Whether or not they are reproduced by 5 full range sats and a sub (playing the LFE channel), or 5 speakers set to 'small' and a sub playing the redirected bass and the LFE copy, they are still reproducing what the engineer obviously intended. It is, in fact, double bass, but it's intended, and therefore called Low Frequency Enhancement.

Getting back to my greeting, there are many things you've posted that are great subjects for those who simply read these threads and never post and so I would take this opportunity to ask you not to part our company because you feel 'attacked'.

By all means, post away. You input is welcome and the reason I come here often. You're an obviously intelligent person who has a grip on some of this currently evolving medium that is multichannel audio.

Sanjay:

I've been meaning to ask you to try something for my sake. Since you are one of the few guys who seem to understand Bass Enhance, or seem to have done more than simply research it, I wonder if you might use a SACD multichannel disc and:

Connect 1 sub to LFE discrete out and 1 sub to reproduce redirected bass. Dial in the LFE sub until it appears sonically balanced and listen to a particular passage.

Then, connect the 2 subs with redirected bass and LFE summed with Bass Enhance engaged.

Tell me what you hear as the differences. I would very much appreciate the report, if you're so inclinded to try it (and, of course, if you have any multichannel SACD discs that you like).