Jeff, sorry, did not read all above... wrote this days ago but then the connection terminated and, well you know...

Anyway, it seems that you need the processing to align the timing of the loudspeakers etc, otherwise you'd connect the SACD straight to the amps. Well, if yu could, I would :-)

Most classical recordings assume some kind of ITU/EBU 773 alignment of the loudspeakers (center at 0 deg, L/R at 30deg, surround at 110-120deg, depending horizontal dispersion). If that is how you set your loudspeakers, the only alignment you need is level, whcih you could do at the amp. The sub is a different story, and, yes, some subs are slow (not really good ones...), so pick a fast sub). And the move your sub around so you get the best alingment in the room, as far as room modes is concerned, and see if you need to reverse the phase to maximize your output (etc. the Rel approach, so to speak).

I am not aware of a srround processor that can handle DSD yet, but I cannot imagine it wouldn't become available. The connection may be a light pipe, if that is the least likely method to be 'ripped' in the digital domein (or is it?).

Snarf