Quote:
Originally posted by Smart Little Lena:
And, not having heard what good surround processing can do for your SACD, you'll probably be fine with what you've got

UGGG I can’t do this right now but one thought. Did I speed read all this thread correctly. You’d prefer a lower resolution 2-channel CD processed via L7 VS potential 5.1 discreet channels at higher resolution. Although the quality of the HR discs and quantity placed in each channel IS all over the map currently.
(and do you prefer DD over DTS?) (or just DD vs the spawn?!) Eki! our ears are different. I do like your MC12!
Logic 7 is VERY good ….but its not that good!

I'd definitely prefer DVD-A/SACD with Logic 7 processing over DVD-A/SACD with a mere analog passthrough. And while I don't necessarily prefer CDs with L7 over SACDs/DVD-As per se, those multi-channel discs that I have heard (admittedly, only a handful) haven't struck me as significantly better than the CD+L7 combination.

As for DD and DTS, it's not that I prefer DD, it's just that I'm sick of this Bose-like "DTS is best" mentality. To date, there has not been a single double-blind, level-matched test that has demonstrated any superiority of DTS over DD; in fact, in the only such test that I know of, listeners were unable to distinguish between them.

Technically, DTS has been shown to be inferior to DD: in instance, a DD recording and a DTS recording were compared to the MLP master, and whereas the DD was pretty close to the original, the DTS differed strongly in many bands.

I've met the folks from DTS. I've been to their booth at numerous CES shows. They're nice folks; I like them. DTS sounds good. I have no problem with these points.

But when they say it sounds better, well, that's a different story. My answer to that is, show me the double-blind, level-matched test with a DD and DTS recording made from the same master, and then we can talk.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by D'Arbignal (edited May 20, 2003).]