Quote:

...but then you lose out on all the enhancements your processor can give you, such as time-alignment and, in the MC-12's case, bass management, surround processing, and more.

Not so. I have bass management with the 950 if I choose to use it. I have time alignment available through my SACD player. I have no need for further "surround processing" with SACD.

And, not having heard what good surround processing can do for your SACD, you'll probably be fine with what you've got.

Quote:

Sure, I could run my 10Ts full-range through my MC-12's analog bypass, but then what's the point of a surround processor at all?

Well, I don't know about you, but I bought my 950 to use first and foremost as a 5.1/7.1 surround processor for DD, DTS, DD-EX, DTS-ES, etc.

And I bought my Lexicon for surround processing in all those, plus for music, too. (Well, not all those: I really couldn't care much less about the various DTS spawn.)

Besides, DD and its kin are surrounded-encoded programs much like SACD and DVD-A. Surely, you wouldn't stoop to surround processing on the DD and DTS sources, right? I mean, you just listen to them in standard DD and DTS modes, right?

Quote:

I've only listened to three or four DVD-As in my home, and no SACDs, so I'm not the best judge.

Why not? You have posted in this thread that, in your opinion, the MC-1 is superior to the 950 while admitting you have never listened to a 950.

Yup, that is indeed my opinion. I know this country's going to hell in handbasket and all, but as far as I know, I'm still permitted to hold my own opinion, whether you feel it's a good one or not.

If both Hyundai and Porsche came out with a new car for 2004, which do you think will probably drive faster? Or would you have no opinion whatsoever on the subject until you've driven both?

Quote:

You went on to say:

Indeed I did. Thank you for the liberal quoting.

Quote:

But I recommend that you listen to both before making a decision.

Good advice- especially before passing judgement on a product- wouldn't you agree?

Dear me, a barb from an officer of the Thought Police. And here I naively thought that I was entitled to have my own opinions, based on my extensive experience with home theater products in general, and a good amount with Lexicon and Outlaw in particular.

But I guess that doesn't entitle me to an opinion. Tell me, please, where do I register for an Opinion Eligibility Card? Can I do that at the post office?

Quote:

But those are just my impressions. Your mileage may vary.

And it does, a little!

Evidently.

Quote:

By the way, I'll bet your system sounds fabulous. I'm envious! Best wishes.

Thank you. I'm actually a bit sad, because I can't think of much I can do to improve on it, and like opieie, I'm a bit of a tweaker. I won't waste money on snake oil like "audiophile" audio, video, and power cables, and I rent an apartment, so I can't do room treatment or paint the place neutral grey. Not sure what else to do next.

Jeff