Quote:
Originally posted by bossobass:

everything that lexicon makes is exceptional. the problem i see is that most everyone says that dvd-a/sacd multi-channel audio isn't important to them...until they hear it. even the least trained ears i've shown the difference to (DSOTM CD vs SACD, for example) are wowed.

with the 950 you get all formats. most important of which, to me, are dvd-a/sacd multi-channel. you even get analog bass management for these formats, built-in, that works. plug-and-play hi-res multi-channel audio of exceptional quality, along with all digital formats, at THE price with 5 years warranty.

the 950 is simply hard to argue against. i think the lex MC-12B is the best pre-pro available today, but it's 10X the price. the MC-1 just doesn't have the capabilities that are required to do multi-channel right, IMO.

try the 950. try dvd-a and/or sacd. you'll never look back.

I agree with BossOBass that you should give DVD-A and SACD a try. Personally, I've tried it and haven't been overwhelmed, but then again, I own a Lexicon processor (the MC-12) so any improvements over 2 channels of sound directed to 7 speakers through Logic 7 is probably minimal.

However, you should make up your own mind. The MC-1 is an absolutely top-notch performer in almost every single aspect of performance ... except that one of DVD-A/SACD. So the question is, is SACD or DVD-A going to be more important to you than the sonic improvement of the MC-1?

Only you can answer this question. But I recommend that you listen to both before making a decision.

Another point to consider is that the 950 is a current model, whereas Lexicon has announced that there will be no more upgrades for the MC-1. That means that should a new surround format become available, you have no upgrade path with the MC-1. I don't know if you do with the 950, but it's worth looking into.

Honestly, I think you'll be happy with either product. Just don't get the Krell!

Jeff