[Phew. FINALLY I got around to getting rid of that extra i in "bobliinds" Jeez, one lousy typo and it follows you around for life.... ]

For my part, this little test that SH and I did was startling. Although I have always tended to prefer the DTS mixes on DVD's, I was in the "six of one, half a dozen of the other" camp as far as comparative quality was concerned. "Different, but a tossup" would characterize my POV.

After yesterday, I will now decisively say that DTS sounds better than Dolby Digital.

In fact, the kinds of differences I heard in our comparisons between DTS & DD reflected many of the characteristics I heard comparing SH's masters with the DVD (although, frankly, the masters vs. DD5.1 differences were MUCH more extreme - see below) That is, the DTS typically had more dimensionality; more "roundness" to individual voices, instruments and effects; more of a sense of "place" acoustics -- which is an illusion in film tracks, of course; and more subtle detail in the timbre of sounds.

Comparing the masters and the DD5.1 DVD is not an experience that HT audiophiles should have. It was just plain heartbreaking and will forever change your level of satisfaction with the audio on commercial DVD's. (Here's another metaphor: You know how after having sex for the first time, you're never satisfied with "making out" in the back of a Chevy? This was like that...)

SH did a SPECTACULAR job refreshing those original score tracks. To hear his ProTools masters in his reference studio is a revelation -- full bodied instrumental timbres; rich, involving surround acoustics; and stunning overall impact from crisp transients to ballsy low end.

Going from that to the DD version was like moving from CD to Dixie-Cups-And-String.

OK. So maybe it wasn't THAT bad; but it was a HUGE difference. Maybe it's more like the difference between FM Stereo and AM Stereo radio. (Comparing only the nature of the difference, NOT the actual quality of the sound, if that makes sense.)

Where the master was big and imposing, the DD was flat and one-dimensional. And the DD5.1 dynamic range compression in the big volume sections of the music was shameful. I suggested loading the gun on the wall of SH's New Mexico-themed studio and taking it over to Dolby Labs. SH wisely talked me out of it.).]

[This message has been edited by boblinds (edited February 07, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by boblinds (edited February 08, 2003).]