I got the install done last week, and I am in love with HDTV! Last night was the first night that I had a real choice in what to watch, though. All weekend, the local CBS HD feed was out, which left slim pickins from the other networks. The PBS HD feed is on 20 hours a day, and has some interesting programming.

The cable feed is not perfect, though. If I set the box to output Dolby Digital, the levels are all off, and the signal cuts in and out at a ridiculous rate. Also, the sound level went from low to really low, and back in unexpected paterns. Being obviously unacceptable, and I thought about cancelling the service. Once I switched it back to the stereo output though, all was well. To be honest, DPL2 C does great justice to the clean stereo signal, and I don't think I'm missing much, since the soundtracks for the TV shows haven't been that exciting (compared to action packed DVD's like the Bond collection I got for Christmas). I can't wait to watch some sports!! I read that ABC is broadcasting teh Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, and my personal favorite, the NBA Finals in HD!

After watching a few shows last night, I have to say that on the networks, "CSI: Miami" was the most impressive display of HD. But PBS has that beat with just about every show they have. There is a show called "Trains Ahead" or something like that, and looks amazing!

Movies have been less impressive. I saw Mrs. Doubtfire, and The Sound of Music. Both looked amazing compared to the standard version, but only on occasion really looked better than DVD. The Sound of Music was obviously not the best choice for showing off HD capabilities because of its age and its soft texture, but even when watching Mrs. Doubtfire, there were only a few times when I saw a huge improvement. Maybe if I saw the DVD side by side I would see more contrast. After watching Mrs. Doubtfire, I put in a few DVDs, and was amazed at how close the two are. I honestly don't know if the average person would care too much about the jump in quality to HD. If HD DVD ever comes about, and the price is much higher than current DVD players and discs, I can't see it taking off anytime soon.

In summary, I am happy to spend the extra $7.00 per month to get the HDTV channels. There is a good amount of programming available, especially at the time that I am watching.

------------------
Benjamin King
benjaminking@yahoo.com