Question? For my Halloween 'treat' last night after eating out my husband took me to the big new local superstore. They were about to close so I had just a sec to listen to 2 models of speakers in the mobile audio area. I asked for him to put what was ‘their’ top of the line coaxial Boston’s on line, (999 a pair) then asked to hear a 2-piece component, (Rockford-Fosgate) (299 a pair).

Funny sidebar, I had him go back and forth between the two, EVERY time he put the more expensive Boston’s on line he bumped the volume. When he went back to the Rockford’s each time he reduced volume.
These guys are really funny…..

The Boston’s had extremely objectionable ‘highs’, (could not stand them) very shrill and would drive me nuts in 5 min. As soon as I remarked on this, he stated ‘Oh, we’ve had some complaints about that’ but I know for a fact the Boston’s have adjustable crossovers and are set up wrong on this board. A minute later he said there I ‘tweaked’ it isn’t that better….(it was not).

Now I know acoustics are totally different in a demo room than in the difficult and variable install in the car. But if it doesn’t sound good on the board I don’t expect it to magically improve tone in the car.

Question for the day…Crossovers should affect the frequency gaps more than anything? Is this correct?
So assuming I screwed with crossovers all day long, though I might bring the mids and bass into a smoother transaction with the highs. I could never expect this to change a tweeter which sounds inherently shrill????