Hey there Lena,

My father and I restored my 67 Camaro years ago going through many of the same trials and tribulations as you are. Unfortunately my poor Camaro is once again in need of a full work-over from head to toe. My father owns an automotive shop which I worked at for ten years and used just about every paycheck earned there on my car. Anyway I just recently replaced my old Pioneer amplifier with a new Sony 100watt x 4 channel amp and blew out my two front speakers so I feel your son's pain! My car is my 2nd obsession next to Home Theater and deciding where my money goes ( and what my wife will let me use ) is one of my biggest struggles.

On the subject of your son's Mustang, I am curious to learn if the front suspension has been narrowed of if the fender/wheel wells have been "streched" to fit those 245 tires he has up front. I also used to own a 67 Mustang (which is escentially identical to the 68) and was BARELY able to fit 235 tires without having to bend-in the inner fender lip until it was flat, and then my truning radius was limited. You said that he thinks stiffer springs would help to solve his problem, but if the suspension location is still stock, those tires may never fit right and rubbing may not go away, wether it's fender rub from shock travel or his sidewalls hitting the inner fender and wheel well. As much as he likes his wide tires in the front, he may need to go a step or two down in front tire tread width to really fix the problem. Let him know that a suspension with 225 to 235 tires on the front is still capable of pulling some good G's around corners, and with a old muscle car like his, understeer is the least of his concerns. I learned just how tail-happy an old V8 hot rod can be, and have the tickets to prove it!

Just some friendly advice for him to chew on! Take care Lena!

-Jeremy