Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#82799 - 03/12/10 08:33 AM Thank you...
FAUguy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: FL
After reading today's email regarding the 997, I would like to say "Thank you" to Outlaw for being honest with us and for taking responsibility. It is all too often in today's world that companies don't, and Outlaw could have easily done the same, so it's nice to see that the reasoning behind the decision to cancel the 997 was laid-out for us.

With that being said, I do hope that the 998 (I'd call it the 1000) will make it out by the end of the year, and hopefully we'll have more specs to go on before then.

One thing I'd like to see added to the 998 (which isn't on the 997 or 990) is a Balanced XLR analog CD input. That way "higher end" CD players or DACs with Balanced XLR outputs can be be used, instead of having to use their unbalanced RCA outputs. On my 990/7500 combo, I'm using 5 MIT XLR cables to connect them, and think it does sound better than using RCA. Since I'm looking to buy a higher-end CD player later this year (or next year) it will most likely have XLR and RCA outputs, so of course between the two it would be better to use the XLR.

Thank you again and I look forward to hearing more about the 998.

-FAUguy

Edited by FAUguy (03/12/10 08:43 AM)

#82810 - 03/12/10 10:23 AM Re: Thank you... [Re: FAUguy]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
I add my thanks with an additional Well Done to Outlaw. I've seen a lot of companies throw good money after bad because no one in a position of authority had the gumption to pull the plug on a project that is no longer is representative of the core values the company holds.

The true worth of a company is evident when they make decisions aligned with their beliefs even though that decision costs them in the short term.

So again I say

Well Done
LG 65" OLED
RR2150 w/Klipsch SCR-2

#82812 - 03/12/10 10:44 AM Re: Thank you... [Re: EEman]
Smitty4UT Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Maryland
I know that this is soon, but does anyone know if they are going to do a interest/pre-order list for the 998?
Emotiva XPA-5
Paradigm Studio 60 R & L
Paradigm Studio CC
Axiom QS8's Surrounds
Sub Outlaw LFM1-Compact & ED A2-300
OPPO BSP-83, PS3 & Wii

#82817 - 03/12/10 11:03 AM Re: Thank you... [Re: Smitty4UT]
blaineh Offline
Gunslinger

I agree, this is GOOD news.
The front panel with dedicated source keys is definately what the dr ordered.
Call me crazy, but S/N sounds too much like plain old Sherwood, who I know nothing about except that they made absolute junk with lies for specs. These, of course, were your $79 recievers...
Anyways, the outlaws have prevaled. the 997 is dead; long live the 998.
Oh, please include at least 9.1, and let me do 8.1 if so inclined (sum stereo hieght for 1 speaker)

#82818 - 03/12/10 11:06 AM Re: Thank you... [Re: Smitty4UT]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Originally Posted By: Smitty4UT
I know that this is soon, but does anyone know if they are going to do a interest/pre-order list for the 998?

I wouldn't expect them to do anything until they were close to having product ready to ship. They might do an "interest list" similar to what OPPO did with the BDP-83, but it'll be a while before I'd expect to hear any talk about that.

#82819 - 03/12/10 11:13 AM Re: Thank you... [Re: blaineh]
Cactus Kid Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Arizona
I applaud Outlaw Audio for making the tough decision they had to make, albeit after quite a bit of time. However, I'm sure every company has a "drop dead date" before they make a final decision, and they understandably reached theirs. This may actually be a blessing in disguise for most customers, because it seems now that Outlaw has more control over what they are doing than relying on some other partner too heavily for product implementation.

I will say this about the new 998: I'm not a fan of Dolby ProLogicIIz (can't afford the space or $$ for more speakers) and I don't own a projection screen or TV that can produce 3D images (nor do I care to--I'm not buying into that marketing scheme at all). Just give me a good processor that gets audio features right and, oh, just happens to do video well, too.
Harman/Kardon DVD-48
LG 42" 1080P LCD HDTV
Elan THP-650LS LCRs
Elan Di-pole Surrounds
Polk Audio DSWPro1000 Sub
Oppo BDP-83
Denon DMD-1000 Minidisc
Denon DRS-810 3-Head Deck
Rega RP-1 Turntable w/Ortofon 2M Red MM Cart
JVC SR-VD400US D-VHS VCR
Audioqest/Outlaw/DH Labs
APC Surge Protector

#82820 - 03/12/10 11:33 AM Re: Thank you... [Re: Cactus Kid]
gonk Offline
Desperado

I have no experience with PLIIz, so can't form an opinion either way on that. As for HDMI v1.4 and 3D, my opinion is that the big names are doing consumers a grave dis-service. Emerging 3D display standards, uncertainty about how long they might persist in the marketplace before something better (such as something that doesn't require either passive or active glasses to achieve the 3D effect) comes along, confusion about how 3D content will be delivered and even what manufacturers' Blu-ray players will work with the official BD content, and another damned HDMI version (a pet peeve of mine, as my post history will attest) are all being tossed into the marketplace less than a year after the digital transition encouraged a ton of people to buy new (non-3D) HDTV's. I don't like that it's happening, but I am glad that Outlaw is going to be able to get "up to speed" with it so that the 998 will be able to have some longevity in the marketplace and in people's homes.

#82824 - 03/12/10 11:54 AM Re: Thank you... [Re: gonk]
Cactus Kid Offline
Gunslinger

I agree with you on most counts, gonk, but unless the industry comes up with a quick upgrade process for updating new HDMI versions--and not one that requires re-buying a whole new receiver or processor (such as NAD's modular-based architecture or a simple USB upgrade approach), I am not getting suckered into this whole 3D thing. Having to buy a new processor or receiver to accommodate HDMI v1.4 is bad enough; having to buy a new processor and/or TV to get this technology is reason enough not to get involved.

I enjoy home theater (although I'm admittedly more of an audio buff at heart), but I don't want to be dodging swords, arrows, and chariots with Russell Crow while I'm watching Gladiator! crazy

#82827 - 03/12/10 12:07 PM Re: Thank you... [Re: Cactus Kid]
gonk Offline
Desperado

That's the problem with what HDMI has been doing: the changes for new versions are more far-reaching than just swapping out a board or loading new firmware. Even modular designs (such as NAD's) have limitations in this regard. The only sure-fire solution is to quit changing HDMI every two or three years. That's kind of the idea behind a "standard" - SPDIF, DVI, component video (until they find a way to kill it), and plenty of other standards have survived for years or even decades without the constant cycle of change that HDMI has experienced. Unfortunately, even if manufacturers like Outlaw don't like what HDMI is doing, they have to play along because it is dictating what the marketplace offers and what many consumers expect or even demand.

#82831 - 03/12/10 12:38 PM Re: Thank you... [Re: gonk]
Cactus Kid Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: gonk
The only sure-fire solution is to quit changing HDMI every two or three years.

I couldn't agree more with you on this. How many times have you read the marketing garbage from manufacturers that their new receivers are "obsolete-proof for many years to come." Hell, they can't even make them obsolete-proof for one year let alone many!
Harman/Kardon DVD-48
LG 42" 1080P LCD HDTV
Elan THP-650LS LCRs
Elan Di-pole Surrounds
Polk Audio DSWPro1000 Sub
Oppo BDP-83
Denon DMD-1000 Minidisc
Denon DRS-810 3-Head Deck
Rega RP-1 Turntable w/Ortofon 2M Red MM Cart
JVC SR-VD400US D-VHS VCR
Audioqest/Outlaw/DH Labs
APC Surge Protector

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 97 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM