I don't think investing in a high end CD player makes too much sense now. The future belongs to streaming music servers . I just installed a Logitech Squeezebox Duet system on all three of my audio systems.

I have my entire CD collection ripped onto a drive on my main computer..all in a lossless format. The whole shebang takes up about 340 gigs of space, which is not bad when you can buy 1 terabyte drives for a hundred bucks. I place one squeezebox receiver at each audio system and hook up the digital outputs into the systems DAC. I can access all of my recordings at any time from any audio system using a really well designed remote with a color LCD screen and scroll wheel.

It works much like an ipod, expect the sound quality is far better, the sonic equal of any high end CD player I have heard. Once someone makes the switch to a music server, there is no going back to hunting for cd's and loading and unloading them one at a time. Once I have ripped my cds to the server, the cd itself can be packed away.
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
OPPO BDP-83 universal player
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP