Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#9970 - 05/28/08 12:49 PM High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
gooomz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: new york
does buying a high end CD player make a difference or is it like high end speaker wire?

since a CD player is just really sending digital data through lets say optical output, does a decent player lets say a $500 player do the same job as one for $3k? is it kind of the same concept like speaker wire where some swear by it and some just don't get it?

#9971 - 05/28/08 01:55 PM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
If your going to do the decoding in your pre-pro, a high end player is only going to give you a better transport and you'll probably never notice the difference. You'd get much greater effect dy doing the conversions in the player and feeding an analog signal to your pre-pro.
If your into SACDs, the sound that you get with a 2 channel SACD should give you some notion of what you could expect with a high end CD player.
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

#9972 - 05/28/08 04:03 PM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
tmdlp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big D, Tx
gomez,
Some gunslingers will take an oppo or low end denon and send it to a special electronic shop to replace internal parts like master clock/DAC to a higher grade. The result is a better sounding unit.

I thought it was hype. But if you do a little research - you will find information on different types of jitter and its affects on the digital signal. This is more than audio sound - but digital communication.

Essentially - when you buy more expensive transports/players - (in theory) you are buying better components designed: to minimize jitter, to control power distribution (digital) and other internal interferences associated w/ jitter.

#9973 - 05/28/08 04:19 PM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
gooomz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: new york
thanks for the info. gooomz

#9974 - 05/28/08 05:22 PM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
nomoneybutgoodsound Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mission,BC
Has anyone had any experience with AV123's Onix CD Player? I do not know a lot about CD players, but I did not that as a Single disc player is wieghs 20lbs. Seems quite sturdy.

#9975 - 12/22/08 04:35 PM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
RedSIinPA Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Outside Phila.
Without a doubt, using the player's onboard decoder and trying different players in that configuration will produce different sounding music. Whether that sound is better to you - figuring that out - is part of the fun wink
Elite 50" / Aquos 32"
Squeezebox Radio

Stereo Setup:
NAD C326BEE (50Wx2)
Elite DV-47Ai Universal SACD/DVD-A
Citypulse DA7.2x II + TXCO DAC
B&W 685s
JL Fathom F112
Denon AH-D2000 Headphones

#9976 - 12/22/08 04:46 PM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
Altec Offline
Desperado

Neither a high end CD player nor high end cables will make a difference which will be audible to the vast majority of listeners. A high end CD player has a better chance of making a difference, but only if you are using the converters in that CD player. Still, the differences are going to be very subtle, and beyond the ability of most people to hear.

If in doubt, do a blind test, even over an extended period of time. I bet almost nobody here would be able to tell under blind conditions one player from another if the gains of both were matched carefully.

#9977 - 12/23/08 06:28 PM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
Alexandru Mihaita Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Springfield, PA
In all honesty and with all due respect for Altec, I couldn't disagree more.
When a CD player is used only as a transport, thus feeding an external DAC via its digital output, things like transport jitter and digital cable quality will have a significant say. If the external DAC re-clocks the digital signal, then every transport and digital cable will yield identical results, provided they are "bit accurate". In such a case the DAC "carries the burden" of sound quality alone.
If the CD player is used via its analog outputs, then better players will produce significantly better sound. The analog stage in the players, their internal clock accuracy, DAC(s) and power supplies quality and the interconnects used will all contribute significantly to the overall sound.
The sound of high quality CD players is smooth yet detailed, with a beautiful tonal balance and full bodied sound, with a tight bass foundation. The lesser ones sound harsh, thin and aggressive.
The better the overall system, the more prominent the differences.
I was one of those thinking of interconnects and speaker cable as "just wire" and, boy, was I wrong. It took only a listen to AudioQuest products and all that wrong belief changed in a hurry.
The only thing that didn't and never will change is my desire to respect everybody's opinion, no matter how different from mine.

#9978 - 12/23/08 08:37 PM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
Altec Offline
Desperado

Two words - blind test

#9979 - 12/23/08 10:25 PM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
Gunslinger

one word - anytime cool

#9980 - 12/23/08 11:24 PM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Suddenly this is really beginning to feel like a saloon…duck. wink

I dunno…I've found that listeners can often hear stuff, but may not know how to articulate subtleties or whatever. It can be like listening to a band running through the same song with two different drummers, bassists or whatever. Even if both musicians are perfectly competent, one or the other may move you more. Of course, the one that moves the band more will most likely get the gig. Just a thought…

#9981 - 12/23/08 11:36 PM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
Gunslinger

Why ducking, tru blu, it's ideas flying, not bullets. wink
That's the fun part, had we all agreed on everything life would be boring.
Nothing beats having a gentlemen's disagreement with one of this saloon's most respected members, Altec.

#9982 - 12/24/08 12:28 AM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
Altec Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandru Mihaita:
one word - [b]anytime cool [/b]
It's not up to me to organize a test for you. That ball is in your court.

I would assume that as a software engineer yourself, you would test your programming before you ship it - correct? It's called a reality check, to test the validity of your ideas.

In the same vein, If you want to make claims about some alleged difference in audio equipment, I would assume that the engineer in you would want to do a reality check to verify that what you are hearing is reality or an illusion - correct?

Audio is no different from any other science - and yes, in many fundamental ways it is a science. If assumptions are made, they should be verified so that we're not talking garbage, but verified facts. Electrons behave exactly the same way, whether they are flowing through the space shuttle, a computer, or an audio amplifier. The action of these electrons has been very well known for over 100 years.

People sometimes have the mistaken idea that somehow electricity behaves differently in audio circuits than in all other circuits. That's so far from the truth to be laughable, and unbelievable.

#9983 - 12/24/08 01:25 AM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
Gunslinger

Altec, yes, it's all about electrons flow. But, the main idea is that music is a continuously variable flow, where every ripple counts.
If we take the cable/water flow analogy, I'll say that it makes a world of difference if we run water through a rough canal instead of a smooth one if we are to care about the ripples riding the water.
Yes, ultimately the same amount of water runs through both canals and if we don't care about the ripples, there is no difference. But, in or case, the ripples are what counts.
Claiming that a $200 CD player sounds indistinguishable from a $2000 CD player is, in my view, inaccurate, even if both claim similar or close measurements. This is simply because things are way more complex in the way they combine than the very terse measurements, which tend to cover one aspect at a time.
I truly believe that the true measurement is in listening, as there is no FICO score for sound quality, no single number of group of measurements to tell all the story.
I know that the audiophile community abounds with ridiculous claims, but this doesn't mean that all claims are wrong or don't have a strong scientific foundation.
Both extremes are, well, extremes, and if we are to talk Gauss bell, then they should be discarded.

#9984 - 12/24/08 01:43 AM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
Altec Offline
Desperado

I never said that a $200 CD player will sound exactly like a $2000 one, but rather that if somebody makes the claim that it does, the buyer owes it to himself to verify that claim by a blind test. To spend money blindly, or worse yet, letting somebody else convince one to spend money blindly is just plain stupid, stupid, stupid.

There are differences between components which I've heard which have stood the reality check of a blind test, and some which have not.

Hey, I'm a composer and pianist myself, and even I wouldn't be so arrogant to say that somehow the electrons which represent my music are so special that they behave any differently than electrons carrying radar data or whatever.

Musical creation doesn't follow any scientific rules (rules of convention sure, but not scientific ones), but the electrons which represent that music through wires and semiconductors certainly do.

There's entirely too much voodoo circulating in the audio world. If you think two components sound different, and that can be verified by a blind test, then fine, they sound genuinely different. If they cannot be statistically told apart in a blind test, then the differences are all in your mind.

#9985 - 12/24/08 03:26 AM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
There are some of us who are more impressed by the $$$ spent on our systems than on the sounds that come out of them. My ears are 54 years young and there is no way I can make a distinction fine enough to tell anyone what wires are used or which CD player sounds best. What it ultimately comes down to (for most of us) is the usability of the system and how it sounds. If the system isn't flexible enough to marry all of the various formats that are out there it won't stay long. Just as two pianos or harps sound different, so do systems. Just because someone thinks a system, they have never heard, appears to be the end all/do all doesn't make it so. Many of us just enjoy trying to get the most out of our current systems and have to fight like hell the upgrade bug.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#9986 - 12/24/08 05:25 AM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
Gunslinger

Gentlemen, I bow before you and retreat.
"To each his own".

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.

#9987 - 01/03/09 02:19 AM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
TooManyHobbies Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: XXX
Going back to gooomz, original question, my experience is between disk players around $200 and ones costing $1000. The really noticeable differences in performance were less in sound and video quality (I'm including players that also do video disks, too) and more in other aspects like speed and error correction. Errors due to disk degradation or recording errors that were not even noticed on the $1000 player stopped the $200 one dead in its tracks. Whether this was hardware or software related, I can't say for sure, but the factory engineers did fix most of the issues in the cheaper player with a firmware upgrade. Most digital products depend to a very large extent on the software programmed into them as well as the quality of the hardware. I'm definitely a believer in increasing price adding value, but only to a point. At some point, there's going to be nothing more meaningful to add, and I'm a firm believer that this point is significantly lower than most audiophiles have been led to believe by marketing designed to appeal to them. What also has to be considered is whether the improvements are going to be noticeable or worthwhile to the user. Quality that would make the unit perform flawlessly for 10 or more years might mean little to someone that trades up every couple of years to get the latest, cutting-edge features. Designs that shield against some environmental conditions (EMI, RFI, vibration, temperature variation) might be of little value in an atmosphere where these conditions are virtually non-existent. I have little experience with disk players costing more than $2000, so I can't make any definitive statement about them. However, from a technology standpoint, over $2000 seems to be entering a region of diminishing returns. Between $1000 and $2000, there are design features that indicate improved performance, but without spending hours using the higher priced players, I don't know how much difference one would actually notice. To be honest, I couldn't justify the difference in price. Quite frankly, design, hardware, and manufacturing differences in some products don't add up to the difference in price.

I hope everyone's 2009 got off to a great start!

Regards,
Bill

#9988 - 01/15/09 12:16 AM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
Brad225 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa Fl
What to spend is always the toughest question. For most of us, we are willing to and want to have better sound by upgrading but don't want to spend any more than we have to for an improvement that will make us go WOW.

Will a $1000 CD/SACD player make an improvement in your sound? If it does will you feel there was enough improvement?

Unfortunately the only way to find out is to borrow a player or purchase one and try it.

The thought process for me is what am I trying to change in the sound of my system?

If my source is clearly the weak link in the system then that is the place to start. How a new source or any equipment will sound is the synergy of complete system. Each time you upgrade a piece should show improvement in your sound but probably not as much as it will when you improve the next weakest link in the chain.

Yea, it's a never ending circle. You have to decide what you are happy with, but that is part of what makes this hobby fun and annoying at the same time.

As to gooomz's questions. A well designed $3000 player will probably sound better than a well designed $500 player assuming that the other pieces in your system can reveal what the $3000 player has to add. The same is true with speaker cables or any equipment you have. The more you improve each piece of equipment the more chance you have of hearing improvements with each upgrade.

There does come a point of diminishing returns and only you can decide that. Does some one spend an extra few hundred or few thousand dollars for a few % improvement?

Only you, your ears, wallet and of course our significant other can determine that.

#9989 - 01/16/09 04:35 PM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
RedSIinPA Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Outside Phila.
^Ironically, my wallet wasn't worth a damn until I found myself my keeper significant other! laugh
Elite 50" / Aquos 32"
Squeezebox Radio

Stereo Setup:
NAD C326BEE (50Wx2)
Elite DV-47Ai Universal SACD/DVD-A
Citypulse DA7.2x II + TXCO DAC
B&W 685s
JL Fathom F112
Denon AH-D2000 Headphones

#9990 - 02/23/09 09:04 PM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
strindl Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Waukesha, Wisconsin
I don't think investing in a high end CD player makes too much sense now. The future belongs to streaming music servers . I just installed a Logitech Squeezebox Duet system on all three of my audio systems.

I have my entire CD collection ripped onto a drive on my main computer..all in a lossless format. The whole shebang takes up about 340 gigs of space, which is not bad when you can buy 1 terabyte drives for a hundred bucks. I place one squeezebox receiver at each audio system and hook up the digital outputs into the systems DAC. I can access all of my recordings at any time from any audio system using a really well designed remote with a color LCD screen and scroll wheel.

It works much like an ipod, expect the sound quality is far better, the sonic equal of any high end CD player I have heard. Once someone makes the switch to a music server, there is no going back to hunting for cd's and loading and unloading them one at a time. Once I have ripped my cds to the server, the cd itself can be packed away.
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
OPPO BDP-83 universal player
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 159 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts