Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#9970 - 05/28/08 12:49 PM High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
gooomz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: new york
does buying a high end CD player make a difference or is it like high end speaker wire?

since a CD player is just really sending digital data through lets say optical output, does a decent player lets say a $500 player do the same job as one for $3k? is it kind of the same concept like speaker wire where some swear by it and some just don't get it?

#9971 - 05/28/08 01:55 PM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
If your going to do the decoding in your pre-pro, a high end player is only going to give you a better transport and you'll probably never notice the difference. You'd get much greater effect dy doing the conversions in the player and feeding an analog signal to your pre-pro.
If your into SACDs, the sound that you get with a 2 channel SACD should give you some notion of what you could expect with a high end CD player.
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

#9972 - 05/28/08 04:03 PM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
tmdlp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big D, Tx
gomez,
Some gunslingers will take an oppo or low end denon and send it to a special electronic shop to replace internal parts like master clock/DAC to a higher grade. The result is a better sounding unit.

I thought it was hype. But if you do a little research - you will find information on different types of jitter and its affects on the digital signal. This is more than audio sound - but digital communication.

Essentially - when you buy more expensive transports/players - (in theory) you are buying better components designed: to minimize jitter, to control power distribution (digital) and other internal interferences associated w/ jitter.

#9973 - 05/28/08 04:19 PM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
gooomz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: new york
thanks for the info. gooomz

#9974 - 05/28/08 05:22 PM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
nomoneybutgoodsound Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mission,BC
Has anyone had any experience with AV123's Onix CD Player? I do not know a lot about CD players, but I did not that as a Single disc player is wieghs 20lbs. Seems quite sturdy.

#9975 - 12/22/08 04:35 PM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
RedSIinPA Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Outside Phila.
Without a doubt, using the player's onboard decoder and trying different players in that configuration will produce different sounding music. Whether that sound is better to you - figuring that out - is part of the fun wink
Elite 50" / Aquos 32"
Squeezebox Radio

Stereo Setup:
NAD C326BEE (50Wx2)
Elite DV-47Ai Universal SACD/DVD-A
Citypulse DA7.2x II + TXCO DAC
B&W 685s
JL Fathom F112
Denon AH-D2000 Headphones

#9976 - 12/22/08 04:46 PM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
Altec Offline
Desperado

Neither a high end CD player nor high end cables will make a difference which will be audible to the vast majority of listeners. A high end CD player has a better chance of making a difference, but only if you are using the converters in that CD player. Still, the differences are going to be very subtle, and beyond the ability of most people to hear.

If in doubt, do a blind test, even over an extended period of time. I bet almost nobody here would be able to tell under blind conditions one player from another if the gains of both were matched carefully.

#9977 - 12/23/08 06:28 PM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
Alexandru Mihaita Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Springfield, PA
In all honesty and with all due respect for Altec, I couldn't disagree more.
When a CD player is used only as a transport, thus feeding an external DAC via its digital output, things like transport jitter and digital cable quality will have a significant say. If the external DAC re-clocks the digital signal, then every transport and digital cable will yield identical results, provided they are "bit accurate". In such a case the DAC "carries the burden" of sound quality alone.
If the CD player is used via its analog outputs, then better players will produce significantly better sound. The analog stage in the players, their internal clock accuracy, DAC(s) and power supplies quality and the interconnects used will all contribute significantly to the overall sound.
The sound of high quality CD players is smooth yet detailed, with a beautiful tonal balance and full bodied sound, with a tight bass foundation. The lesser ones sound harsh, thin and aggressive.
The better the overall system, the more prominent the differences.
I was one of those thinking of interconnects and speaker cable as "just wire" and, boy, was I wrong. It took only a listen to AudioQuest products and all that wrong belief changed in a hurry.
The only thing that didn't and never will change is my desire to respect everybody's opinion, no matter how different from mine.

#9978 - 12/23/08 08:37 PM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
Altec Offline
Desperado

Two words - blind test

#9979 - 12/23/08 10:25 PM Re: High end CD player like high end speaker? $$$
Alexandru Mihaita Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Springfield, PA
one word - anytime cool

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts