Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#9958 - 05/27/08 10:31 PM SACD's for 2 channel
gooomz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: new york
do SACD's with 2 channel tracks offer a big step up in sound compared to regular CD?

also, is SACD really a dying format?

#9959 - 05/28/08 12:31 AM Re: SACD's for 2 channel
Altec Offline
Desperado

None whatsoever.

Yes both SACD and DVD-A are both pretty much dead as audio only formats.

#9960 - 05/28/08 02:22 AM Re: SACD's for 2 channel
tmdlp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big D, Tx
goomz,
I would respectfully disagree on the sound. SACD and DVD-A can hold more information. Does that mean they will sound better? depends on the recording setup/ recordings and pressing. I have heard good stuff and bad stuff.

I do agree it is dead...

#9961 - 05/28/08 03:23 AM Re: SACD's for 2 channel
gooomz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: new york
in a high end setup its surprising that there is no improvement in sound quality. i thought there would be something to be gained. i thought most audiophiles would have at least a small collection of SACD's.

when you say dead, about how many new releases are made a year?

#9962 - 05/28/08 04:13 AM Re: SACD's for 2 channel
Altec Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by gooomz:
in a high end setup its surprising that there is no improvement in sound quality. i thought there would be something to be gained.
Not surprising really. The "information" that is capable of being stored on SACD and DVD-A are frequencies well beyond the ability of humans to hear, and a noise floor which is lower than the noise of the microphones capturing the sound, not to mention the noise in even the quietest recording venues and of the musicians themselves.

In short - they are overkill, pure and simple.

The marketing of both these formats was screwed up from the beginning. Aside from the obvious flaw of two competing formats, both were sold on "sound quality beyond CD". Little mention was given to their one and only true benefit, that of multi-channel sound.

People did not hear that "greatly superior sound" and they stuck with CD. Most of the multi-channel mixes were gimmicky and added little to the basic function of serving the music.

I've done recording myself at all sample rates and bit depths available, and have never heard (nor has anybody I've auditioned the masters for heard) the slightest difference between a 192kHz / 24 bit master and a carefully transferred copy at 44.1kHz / 16 bit.

By the formats being dead, I mean that there are not a whole lot of releases being made, and the number is getting smaller all the time. What few holdouts to the formats are releasing less and less and will undoubtedly soon stop altogether. They're not in business to loose money.

#9963 - 05/29/08 01:52 AM Re: SACD's for 2 channel
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
My experience with SACD was actually that it showed more improvement in a low end set up. As in, on a cheap DVD/SACD player, the SACD playback sounded noticeably better than the standard CD playback.

I did notice, however, that a high-end transport on the same system sounded different, and a little bit nicer, than SACD while playing normal CDs.

Go figure...

#9964 - 05/29/08 04:24 PM Re: SACD's for 2 channel
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
SACD may not qualify as "dead" but it certainly isn't thriving. There are some labels still supporting it (Tel-Arc, for example), but it's nothing really substantial. DVD-Audio, on the other hand, really is just plain dead. It's been years since I've seen a true DVD-A new release, although there have been some music DVD's marketed (inaccurately) as "DVD-Audio" simply because their main focus was audio (they generally offered either PCM stereo or Dolby Digital 5.1, with no sign of MLP's lossless multichannel).

As Altec mentions, multichannel mixes are a tricky business. Some can work well, both others just come off as cheesy and distracting.

#9965 - 05/30/08 11:10 AM Re: SACD's for 2 channel
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
I wrote about this source for SACD, DVD-A and dts music awhile back. Can't find the post. The dts separation is great.

Try this http://www.5point1.com/index2.html

That page will let you navigate to several of their formats, then choose one and look at the titles. I liked the Les Brown Session #55 (done by his son and engineers). Also Chick Corea- Remembers Bud Powekll, Dave Grusin-WEst Side Story, Handel's Messiah. They have the above formats.

HTH
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

#9966 - 05/31/08 01:43 AM Re: SACD's for 2 channel
Kubrickfan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: So. Calif
Many SACDs have been remixed and can’t be compared to a differently mixed CD. Even the included CD layer in hybrid SACDs has usually been remixed. Some feel there isn’t any improvement but many of us are straining every aspect of our systems for the slightest improvement. Some pay premiums for cables, etc. I used to pay a premium for the English imports on albums to obtain superior audio quality. It was said that the English imports were thicker vinyl (besides different covers and sometimes more songs). They sounded better to me. Maybe I can’t hear the full resolution possible on a SACD or DVD-Audio but if I can hear more then the CD can produce then I would think it has the potential of sounding a little better. I do like many multi-channel mixes that spread out the instruments but many SACDs have ruined the material with their mix. It is important to read online reviews before you buy. I would suggest you try a stereo SACD as a test for yourself.
Marantz AV7702mkII, Outlaw 7220, ,7ea-Outlaw LCR (2ea.- L/2ea.- R/C/SR/SL),Outlaw 7125 for 4ea-Outlaw LCRv2 (Atmos ceiling),Outlaw Ultra-X12 & LFM-1EX Subwoofers,BR/DVD Oppo BDP-103,BDP-83SE, Samsung 65" OLCD, Sofabato remote - Whole house audio via two (2ea) 7125s.

#9967 - 06/11/08 10:20 PM Re: SACD's for 2 channel
Lizard King Offline
Desperado

Loc: NY
I really like to listen to SACDs using Stereo. Most are Hybrid Cds and multi-channel sounds unnatural to me.
HSU VTF-2 Mk2 sub x2
VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp
ARC SP16-L tube Preamp
Audio Note Dac 2.1 "B" signature
Furutech E-TP80,
Ascend HTM-200, 340C
Sony KDS-55A2020

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 187 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts